Wednesday, February 1, 2017

My Favorite Short Story

I've sat here mulling over for minutes and minutes about what could possibly be my favorite short story and I'm honestly drawing a blank... I can't think of a short story that I loved so much that I remembered; I honestly feel as if I love longer books and stories with plot developments and such.  In all honesty, every short story that I've tried to think of is a story that I recall not caring for too much.  I think though, that my favorite story may be the The Time Travelers Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, I can also think of some short stories that I love in this novel of stories called "How to Escape From A Leper Colony" by Tiphanie Yanique.  One story that specifically stood out to me was called "Streetman" and it was about the short romance of an Island man on the U.S. Virgin Islands who works for a sun glasses hut so that he can be in contact with tourists in order to sell them marijuana.  I couldn't find any links of the story online, but it's a fascinating story that ends up touching on subjects such as cultural hybridity and the after effects of post colonialism.  I think it's fascinating and I would love to teach it to a class because it's easy to read in some sense (excluding some of the choppy Island Dialect that can get confusing) and it also touches on subjects that most students can relate to, such as cultural hybridity or biological hybridity.  I think it would be great to bring those subjects up in a class. 
My Prompt:  Imagine having your own culture and loving everything about it including the food, music, religion, customs and traditions.  Now imagine if someone different came into your culture.  Someone completely new, with a completely different culture and they wanted you to be like them because they think their culture is superior to yours.  Speed time up about 10 years, and imagine going to the land of the second persons original culture; Would you feel like you fit in? Would you feel hybridized?  What are the effects of this hybridization and how does it effect the way you interact with your original culture, the one you originally loved? Elaborate. 

No comments:

Post a Comment