Wednesday, February 8, 2017

Social Justice



I was thinking about texts that I learned when I was in middle school that taught me injustice and the first was the dairy of Anne Frank, I think now with the state that the political United States is in (including its prejudices and fears targeted toward specific groups of people), I think it would be something I could be completely compassionate about teaching.  I think it's really important to teach students to be empathetic towards others that are unlike them and in ways completely different from them.  There are a ton of books that I've read about social justice and social injustice but I think I would focus on one that centers on the idea of immigration and WHY specifically do immigrants flee their countries.  I think that forcing students to be empathetic and place themselves in someone elses shoes is vastly important and it's a way to observe different perspectives and how they feel for the protagonist in a text who's being targeted.  I really love this book I've been reading in my Post Colonialism class, called "How to Escape from a Leper Colony", I think it really covers the internal struggles that people of different colors and nationalities face in the eyes of society.  I think I would go about subjecting my students to discrimination in group efforts in order to get them to reflect at the end of their lesson and cover how exactly they felt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment