Wednesday, February 15, 2017

Wild Card

Recently, I have worked on deepening my relationship with God and seeing the effects of that.  I think last semester was when I really got fascinated with rebuilding that relationship.  It was mostly because of Dr. Morrissey's class where we always talked about God and religion, as well as God's omniscient powers and how it's just too complex for us to understand sometimes.  So I started going to church and rebuilding something that I've wanted for a long time.  I have seen the beautiful effects of him being in my life all of the time, and it has personally made me a much more positive person.  I've started attending bible studies too and I just really love the way that I feel afterwards.  I pray to God as much as I can, and I've worked on being selfless about my prayers and praying for others instead of myself.  I also see the beauty in everything again, which I think is my favorite thing about my new found spirituality.
I bring this up because I've started noting the many times religion and more specifically, Christianity, comes up in works of literature.  In almost all of my classes, I have talked about scriptures in the bible and the significance of the bible in certain works.  I personally feel like there should be a slight focus on this, or at least a class like "Religion in Literature" that focuses on the many ways the Old and New Testament influenced literature movements and the writings of said literature.  I think it's smart to separate that class from being a "worship" class and more of a knowledgeable class where students who don't study the bible (or care for it) can still learn about it and it's effects on works of literature and how society also takes from the many themes present in the bible.  I personally feel like it would broaden a students understandings of literature instead of constricting them, or also making them feel left out for not understanding biblical references and so forth.

No comments:

Post a Comment